Mahi at Ranchi! I felt some of my heartbeat went missing!


“On January 19, 2013, being his worshipper, I could not explain the emotions that had driven me crazy; watching him on TV, again, I could not resist myself from shouting – Hey! It’s my boy playing on his home turf. Jharkhand has a national stadium, you know. Ha!!” Writes Monika Arora

Mahi at Ranchi! I felt some of my heartbeat went missing! | Planet "M"
Indian Captain MS Dhoni playing in his home town, Ranchi against England in 2013.
Since the start of the England-India ODI series, the one thing which always fetches my attention is the schedule. Yes, schedule! The 3rd ODI of the 5-match ODI series is at the Jharkhand State Cricket Association Stadium, Ranchi on January 19! Okay, Ranchi. Hang on, Ranchi?

Boy! I just pumped up from my seat, confessed myself to ‘Hell! Ranchi has a brand new stadium??!

Damn! Why I am not aware of it, eh? ’

Rather missing this luxurious chance, I decided to archive this moment watching it LIVE! And due to my eagerness, I forgot that it was the 3rd ODI at Ranchi and not 2nd. During the 2nd ODI, everything was well prepared – the TV set at home, a cup of tea with snacks alongside it and a warning gesture of my face saying “Do not bother. It’s a match day!” All of sudden, everything crashed down. The commentator welcomes the viewers saying “we’re LIVE from Kochi”! Ah, Facepalm.! I ended up laughing at myself and rolled back the plan.

Later, I confirmed the 3rd ODI’s fixture and scheduled a date on TV. Yes, a date with MS Dhoni. The wait is getting longer and, honestly saying, my curiosity started mounting endless scenarios. Meanwhile, I kept myself updated to every news related to Ranchi and 3rd ODI. From unavailability of match ticket to captain’s own family to the royal dinner invitation to the English team – I was very excited though.

And then the big day had arrived. A lot of whizzing and whooping could be seen on the ground. People flourished themselves in with Dhoni Tee and banners. The commentary team kept on saying that it was the first big moment after Sachin Tendulkar to Cricket. This had been an epic moment for Indian Cricket. This was the love for the local boy Dhoni – a pride of Ranchi.

I was on cloud nine. The stadium environment was full of energy and enthusiasm. And I, too, could feel it by sitting at home. The ground was looking aesthetic! Like it happens in every International match, the same tradition took place here – the pitch report, pre-match shows, team practice etc. But where my eyes’ aiming for was the batting of MS Dhoni. Since it had been a long wait, then India, too, opted for bowling first rather batting after winning the toss. So, I preferred to switch off the TV and wait for the 2nd innings.

It’s around 17.30 IST. Tune into Star Sports. Match figures saying – 56 runs needed from 29 overs. I was stunned. Both Yuvraj and Kohli were playing well. As India had enough overs left to ensure a win, I could not expect a miracle here. Or, I can desperately? I whispered to myself: “Can I have a wicket here? Oh, I badly wish MS to bat here. It’s now or never.

And then my wish was granted. Yuvraj was bowled by Tredwell. Jeez! It happened. The TV screen showed a Yuvi walk-off and my heart was dying for MSD. Tredwell, you beauty! I owe you man!

As the whole stadium was chanting for MSD to come and bat in the middle-order, soon after the camera moved its focus towards the Indian dressing room and I discovered that the Indian skipper was wearing his cap with a bat in his hand. As he walked towards the wicket, the entire stadium shouted, ‘Dhoni.. Dhoni’. Yes, it was show time.

I reminiscence myself that world cup winning six of Mahi and, again, expected the same thing here. Every run Kohli scored, I revert with sheer anger ‘No, please. Let him score yaar!’ With all my words, the boy of Jharkhand ended up with a winning-boundary and fulfilled everyone’s expectations. It was my moment to cherish. He has proved himself again.

For those, who wanted MSD to come up the order – on Saturday, he did it. To the critics, who said Dhoni was not finishing the matches for India – on Saturday, he had answered them all. And the people who believe that Dhoni doesn’t deserve the Indian captaincy – on Saturday, he made his ugly critics shut up.

In the press conference and a short interview with Gautam Bhimani, he confessed:
“It’s an emotional moment for me. Playing an International match at Ranchi for the very first time where I’ve grown up hitting tennis-ball earlier, it is a big moment. Of course, I could go up the order to bat in front of the home crowd but then Yuvraj was the right man to go to bat. I won’t say I was happy with Yuvraj dismissal but glad to bat here and win the match.”

You can hardly see an emotional Dhoni on the ground and in post-match interviews. On an eventful Saturday evening, I’ve witnessed an emotional Mahi. And I’m glad, I had lived it with him.

Yes, one more gem had been added to MS Dhoni’s phenomenal and truly exceptional career. From a B-town cricketer to the captain of the national side who would have thought this local boy, Mahi, going to be a national pride, one day!  On January 19, 2013, being his worshipper, I could not explain the emotions that had driven me crazy; watching him on TV, again, I could not resist myself from shouting – Hey! It’s my boy playing on his home turf. Jharkhand has a national stadium, you know. Ha!!

It was one of the most fascinating sights in cricket. Watching my hero playing at home – Ranchi, I felt some of my heartbeat went missing!

Just kidding!
This article first published on cricketsoccer.com !

You Might Also Like

Author's Pick for You

You will sob bitterly and wish for further more when that day will arrive

“There have been numerous stories claiming ‘he still has a lot to deliver, stop drawing his frame’, ‘you would never know the next until...